Downloaded CodeProject App

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:48 AM

Almost immediately discovered need to adjust font size either via pinch or from a setting.  thanks for app.

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the info and I'm glad you like the app. Could you tell me what device you are using the app on? 

I am aware of a number of issues with it e.g. search is unreliable since CP changed their UI but I am waiting for them to develop their own API which the next version of this app will use.

Thanks very much,

Ed

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Understand the need for feedback and device testing on Android. I tried the CP app on my ASUS Transformer (TF300) tablet.

The current Android version on the tab is 4.1.1 - I was using the Chrome browser.

Another question is How do I login to my CodeProject account with your App? CP is my primary resource so I was excited when I discovered your app - it would give me an opportunity to read articles when I'm away from my laptop.

On Nov 8, 2012 2:28 AM, "EdwardNutting" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the info and I'm glad you like the app. Could you tell me what device you are using the app on?

I am aware of a number of issues with it e.g. search is unreliable since CP changed their UI but I am waiting for them to develop their own API which the next version of this app will use.

Thanks very much,

Ed

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (ecncodeprojectapp@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email ecncodeprojectapp@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Hi there,

In answer to your question, since CP upgraded their UI to the Windows 8 style a number of features have broken since the app relies on screen scraping. It appears login is broken too. They have asked me to pause development until they have developed their API for me to use in future versions of the app. It is likely to be a couple of months until the new version of the app is released so I can only ask you to be patient and use what is working.

Thanks very much for your interest and feedback.  Please follow the project's download page to be notified when the new version is released. The key parts of the app (I.e . Latest articles and article caching for offline reading) still work at least :) Tip: It currently caches all articles that you open so if you open several articles then read one then click the back key, the app will still load the other articles you opened, even if you are offline!

Thanks and please keep following,

Ed

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:19 PM
I will definitely follow the project.
Is there some resource (or resources) that you can point me to - I am interested in attempting to develop an Android app as an interface to a particular news/political aggregation website (www.lucianne.com).
I'm a professional developer and have been looking for someone I could ask.
Any help appreciated.
Regards,
Todd Dickinson

Invest in America
Buy a Congressman

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM, EdwardNutting <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi there,

In answer to your question, since CP upgraded their UI to the Windows 8 style a number of features have broken since the app relies on screen scraping. It appears login is broken too. They have asked me to pause development until they have developed their API for me to use in future versions of the app. It is likely to be a couple of months until the new version of the app is released so I can only ask you to be patient and use what is working.

Thanks very much for your interest and feedback. Please follow the project's download page to be notified when the new version is released. The key parts of the app (I.e . Latest articles and article caching for offline reading) still work at least :) Tip: It currently caches all articles that you open so if you open several articles then read one then click the back key, the app will still load the other articles you opened, even if you are offline!

Thanks and please keep following,

Ed

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (ecncodeprojectapp@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email ecncodeprojectapp@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Edited Nov 8, 2012 at 5:45 PM

(Decided that I am fed up of my own app not working and that - since it could be quite a while till CP develop and test their API - I will spend some of my free time over the next week patching the app so that it works again but I won't add new features to it yet).

I can't really point you towards any particular resources for learning to create an Android app other than the Android Developer's website, which I am sure you have probably found, and Stack Overflow tends to be good for answering Java questions (or rather, all the question I have seem to already have been answered on Stack Overflow!)

If you get stuck at all, feel free to message me on CP or CodePlex or DM on Twitter (@EdNutting) - any of those will do :)

Good luck!

Ed

P.s. I recommend searching around to see if they have an API, if so, use it! If not you must resort to screen scraping. It took me a while to get this app working properly as there are a number of issues in Android mostly to do with threading and not clogging the UI thread. I recommend you take a look at my code to see what I mean. I know it's not the best but hopefully it will help get you started!

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM

(Edited above message...missed out the crucial word "not" in my first sentence :P )

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Hi there,

I have just released a new version of the app that includes all the bug fixes that makes the existing features work. It also includes some features I had been developing for V1.1.6 - see the downloads page &/ release notes for more details.

You can login by opening the menu then choosing Login then enter your account email address and password. If you close the app without logging out, the app will save your current session so that if you re-open the app within 30 minutes you will still be logged in. To put aside any worries you may have about entering account details into the app:

1. I categorically DO NOT collect your account details in any way
  2. Your account details are only ever sent to CodeProject.com
  3. Your account details are not cached by the app in any way. Only your session may be cached. To be certain you are logged out open the menu and press "Logout" then wait for a message to appear saying (something to the effect of) "You are logged out."
  4. Your account details are only ever sent using an HTTPS link to CodeProject.com

If you are still worried, check the source code :) 

Hope this now works well for you,
Ed

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Just uploaded a new version of the app (replaced the V1.1.6 download). Please download and re-install :) The app now includes automatic updating so you won't have to keep coming back to CodePlex to check for updates.

Ed